This isn’t a how-to. This is a help-please! A desperate plea to the runners of the world.
I have a 10K race coming up a week from today. In fact, by this point I’ll be home and cleaned up and chilling on the couch. I thought I would be ready by now. But I am not ready. Not even close. I’m sure of that now, after this morning’s disaster of a run.
Instead of settling into a comfortable pace for one last long(ish) run, I struggled and had to stop to walk. Eight times. I even cut my distance short. At least by now I know when I’ve had enough.
Instead of feeling primed and powerful and ready to take on this 10K, I’m feeing like a failure. I’m floundering. Flustered.
So I ask you, oh wise ones of the internets, a week from my race, what should I do?
- Do I hit the roads hard this week to try to make up for my lackluster long run?
- Do I take the week off and rest up?
- Do I carry on as planned and shoot for my original goal?
- Do I pull up the reins and run a slow race, so long as I can actually run the whole thing and maybe even enjoy it?
- Do I step down to the 5K?